Thursday 17 October 2013

Sabre #2 Page 3

wayne hughes comic art

Page 3 and more learning through doing (kinetic learning I believe it’s called!).

The actions to convey seemed simple enough when I wrote it ‘dragon grabs Golbre, sabre throws sword, sword stuck in dragon, Golbre lands safely, dragon comes back for sabre’

Panel 1

Hopefully the action of being grabbed is clear enough from the spray of snow on the cliff. The grabbing of the sword also became an effort, trying to work out which arm he’d use for a proper swing.

Panel 2

Really tried to make the sword look like its leaping right off the page. The zoom lines helping carry that perspective.

Panels 3-4

I like a sound effect and nothing makes me happier than making up my own. Big fan of Richard Starkings and the guys at comic-craft. In panel 4 it’s really the first time I had to draw sabre head on and I’m pleased with it and the water vapour from his cold breath but I feel eventually I will be able to stylise this further.

Well really it’s never that easy. But I’m happy with the end result, except one major flaw.

I OVERWORKED THE LAST PANEL!
 

I must have drawn 3 or 4 different sets of zoom lines before I finally settled on what you see here (having blacked out most of what was there before). But this isn’t anything too serious; it’s just for fun and practice. And I was keen to get to the next page and the title splash page.

No comments:

Post a Comment